Thursday, September 23, 2010

Expectations and Blue Jeans

I got to thinking about expectations and what that word actually means.  Depending on the scale in which you set them, it can change so many things: a movie, a nice dinner out, the fit of your perfect pair of jeans that you haven't worn in months, a relationship, a trip, an interview, etc.

So what happens when our expectations don't add up..disappointment/frustration...and other words full of heartbreak.  Then, when something happens, that exceeds our expectations...a wonderful feeling emerges that can change your whole outlook on the day, week, month, life.

Knowing what can happen, why is that we sometimes set our expectations extremely too high, setting others up to fail and ultimately disappointing ourselves.  Expectations are always going to be sky high for those we hold closest to our hearts, but they're just human...we as the "expectation holder" are never perfect, why do we ask that in others.

But the down side, always setting low expectations...that's no way to live.  Expecting too little, causes laziness and easy-way-outs.  We think highly of those we love and only want the best out of them.  Expecting not enough, will result in never wanting them to do or be better for you, but mainly themselves.  Why try, when you don't have to, kind of attitude.

Where is the happy medium...is there one? How can I not disappoint and frustrate myself, but still set standards that I believe to be tangible?!?!!?

As a side note, let me explain my reason behind this blog:
My Husband and I were going to meet my grandparents for dinner and a comedy show.  On our drive to the restaurant BJ says: "I hope this buffet is GREAT!" Then I follow with, knowing good and well, there is no such thing as a GREAT buffet..it's a mythical creature.."Lets go with good, that fits better and that way we...you, aren't let down."  We get there and the food isn't terrible, but not great, and slim pickings, which really isn't something you would expect of a buffet.  BJ's little heart was broken.  He didn't know what to do.  I, on the other hand, had expected, simply just food, and therefore wasn't let down. 

Something as small as this....leads to my brain churning all night trying to figure out how to beat the expectation doom, the expectation high is something to live for, but the doom can be devastating.  Yes, disappointment is a part of life, I get it.  But wouldn't it be nice to minimize that, by just assessing the situation and setting realistic expectations for that particular scenario or person, whether they are set high or low, just the perfect fit...like blue jeans.  I know it, I can say it...well, type it, but I struggle to put it into practice....and after all practice makes perfect!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment